Skip to main content

The Not-So-Elegant Canine

This is Trudy. More specifically, this is Trudy's butt. Her preferred sleeping method is head half under the bed, butt half out. This is not all that unusual for dogs, but it still makes me laugh.

In the two months since adopting Trudy, we have laughed many times at her antics. Getting asked not to return to dog daycare was not one of those times.

The Elegant Canine (TEC) was Trudy's first venture into daycare, as well as some one-on-one obedience training classes with the owner. The training classes went fine. The daycare did not.

As with most rescue dogs, we are clueless as to Trudy's life prior to being Trudy. She was found trotting through the neighborhood by a kind neighbor who rescued and fostered her until she was eventually initiated into the Saab household. Truth is, we suspect she was kind of a badass dog. Weighing in at a svelte 45 pounds, she doesn't cower from any one or any animal. I have this vision of her roaming the streets with nun chucks, sniffing out criminals to take down.

It boils down to the fact that Trudy is an alpha and while she gets along with ninety-five percent of the dogs she meets, there are a few nemesis dogs we try to avoid. As an alpha, she doesn't back down. So put her with another alpha and you see the problem. The is exactly what happened at TEC and when the worker reached in to separate the dogs, her hand ended up in Trudy's mouth and that's just not good. (For the record, the worker completely understood, but the owner/trainer was not so accepting.)

Upon final payment for training, it was suggested Trudy might do better at a bigger facility. TEC is actually a house where the daycare is in the attic.

Fine. I'm not a ridiculous dog owner that thinks my dog can do no wrong. I know she's...what's the word....challenging.

But I can't help but think there are a fair number of alpha dogs out there. Are these dogs just not welcome at doggy daycare? Imagine the sign: "Dog Daycare, 7am-7pm, Submissive Dogs Only." What's a working, dog owning, fence-less couple to do?

Trudy tried out her second facility for a weekend we were in Colorado. Dog Pawz Stay 'n Play in Leawood is a much larger and better smelling facility. However, I was still a little nervous. I know she's a great dog. Most people who meet her think she's great. But we were 0 for 1, so I wasn't overly optimistic.

Fortunately, she fared all right. When I took her back this morning, she trotted right in. No separation anxiety. No peeing on the floor. Most importantly, no call today from Dog Pawz. I've learned no news is good news in dog daycare. I might silence my phone this afternoon, though. No reason to ruin a good thing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Elephant Gone Wrong

I don't like white elephant (WE) gift exchanges. Yes, they may include laughter and good-natured teasing (I prefer bad-natured teasing), but they include the stress of finding the perfect gift. Plus, I don't believe in re-gifting trash. A box full of old magazines is not a good WE gift. No one wants it. Therefore, you are done with the exchange if you pick this gift, which is what happened to Husband. My viewpoint is not shared with most people. One of those people is my stepmom who in recent years has included WE exchanges at our family Christmas.  However, this year I was excited. If you have read my blog, you will know Husband is a saver. (We do not use the word hoarder.) We're also trying to get rid of stuff we no longer need. Husband also has friends that give him funny, ridiculous items that he saves. You can see how all this would add up to somehow already having the perfect WE gift.  So there was hope. I'd already identified it - the velvet picture of a

Holiday Homestretch

Two weeks off, people. After today, it will be sixteen lovely days until I return to the world of meetings, projects and deadlines. Sixteen days. Christmas break is such a lovely perk to working in higher education. Those in the corporate world, feel free to brag about bonuses, profit sharing and the like. On your own blog, of course. There are no big plans, other the the normal holiday family visits, which suits me just fine. Initially, I thought a few days would be spent painting the living room. It's embarrassing how long there have been drywall patches showing, but whatever. We have a baby. Nothing gets done. I've accepted it. However, Husband surprised me by having a painter take care of it last week. Hallelujah! Two days of freedom regained. Now the home improvement snowball has started. New mantle for the fireplace. New vanity for the bathroom. Paint the hallway. Tile the backsplash. We'll be lucky if we get one done before spring. We're also contemplatin

Star Wars Costume -- Strike Two

So this was the second year we attempted a Star Wars halloween costume and it was the second time Bean was not having it. In an attempt to appease Husband, he has been allowed to select the costumes until she is old enough to have an opinion. As evidenced by the photos, her opinion is clear. 2012 - Princess Leia 2013 - R2D2 (or R2TUTU) 2013 - pre-meltdown