Skip to main content

A Day in the Life

For anyone who thinks maternity leave is a luxury, let me give you the real scoop.

Here's my day:

5-5:30am - Feeding

6-8am - Baby sleeps and/or lightly squawks in crib. I do exciting stuff including: brush teeth, pick up house, unload dishwasher and take some Excedrin. (Husband commented life with a newborn includes a constant, low-grade headache, so we're both hitting the Excedrin extra-hard.) This time may include eating breakfast, if I'm lucky. (Today includes blogging.)

8:30am - Baby up for another feeding.

9am - Diaper change. (She dislikes this.) Clothing change. (She dislikes this, too.) A rousing game of peek-a-boo while she's on the changing table. (This is a whole new level of dislike - maybe even hate. But my face super-up-close scares me, too, so I can't blame her.)

9:30-10:30am - Carry Baby around seeing what I can accomplish one-handed. Maybe walk around yard to get her some Vitamin D. Have Baby do "tummy time" which is when she lays on her stomach and practices lifting her head. (She doesn't like this either.)

10:30am-Noon - Baby naps. I pump (TMI, I know), try to get on the elliptical for 45 minutes and shower.

Noon-1:30pm - Repeat activities from 8:30-10am.

Here it becomes less structured. If someone comes by, she naps. If not, she's awake. We may throw in a bath, multiple diaper changes and a brief squawking session.

2pm - Take Baby and Trudy for a walk.

3pm - Feeding.

3:30pm - Diapers, diapers, diapers. This is her high-poop time.

4pm - Husband is usually home. Thank God.

4:30pm - Put her in the swing, leave Husband with a bottle and get the hell out of the house. Yesterday was a riveting run to CVS (my new favorite place) which I wrapped up by eating a Heath candy bar in the car in the parking lot and taking my sweet time getting home.

5:30pm - Follow-up feeding. Pass baby back and forth while the other person gets to do stuff like make dinner or possibly shower.

6pm - Back in swing so we can eat.

7-8pm - Family walk time with Baby and Trudy.

8-9pm - Witching hour usually accompanied by hiccups.

9pm - Feeding.

9:30pm - Put Baby down and keep fingers crossed she won't get back up.

10pm - Write at least two thank you notes for all the kind things friends have done for us in the last month.

No witty wrap up and it's 8:29am and motherhood calls. I love Charley, but miss my adult people. A lot.

Comments

  1. Jenny, know exactly how you feel. Despair sometimes, especially during the witching hour. Found that an airplane swing attached to the porch beam and a great book of poetry really, really helped Clara and Gavin both once they hit around 4 months. Hours spent with me reading and singing and them swinging, saying 'gin' (as in Again, not as in gin and tonic) while I read poems was a highlight. This is NOT an easy time, not until finally, the baby smiles at you, and not at the picture you have taped near the changing table to stimulate her. Then, she becomes human, she will become amazing and wonderful. You're almost there, if not right there.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

White Elephant Gone Wrong

I don't like white elephant (WE) gift exchanges. Yes, they may include laughter and good-natured teasing (I prefer bad-natured teasing), but they include the stress of finding the perfect gift. Plus, I don't believe in re-gifting trash. A box full of old magazines is not a good WE gift. No one wants it. Therefore, you are done with the exchange if you pick this gift, which is what happened to Husband. My viewpoint is not shared with most people. One of those people is my stepmom who in recent years has included WE exchanges at our family Christmas.  However, this year I was excited. If you have read my blog, you will know Husband is a saver. (We do not use the word hoarder.) We're also trying to get rid of stuff we no longer need. Husband also has friends that give him funny, ridiculous items that he saves. You can see how all this would add up to somehow already having the perfect WE gift.  So there was hope. I'd already identified it - the velvet picture of a

Holiday Homestretch

Two weeks off, people. After today, it will be sixteen lovely days until I return to the world of meetings, projects and deadlines. Sixteen days. Christmas break is such a lovely perk to working in higher education. Those in the corporate world, feel free to brag about bonuses, profit sharing and the like. On your own blog, of course. There are no big plans, other the the normal holiday family visits, which suits me just fine. Initially, I thought a few days would be spent painting the living room. It's embarrassing how long there have been drywall patches showing, but whatever. We have a baby. Nothing gets done. I've accepted it. However, Husband surprised me by having a painter take care of it last week. Hallelujah! Two days of freedom regained. Now the home improvement snowball has started. New mantle for the fireplace. New vanity for the bathroom. Paint the hallway. Tile the backsplash. We'll be lucky if we get one done before spring. We're also contemplatin

Get This Party Started

So what do you do when you're reclining in a hospital bed, Olympic beach volleyball on the TV and watching petocin slowly drip through an IV into your arm? You blog. As of 3:32pm, all is manageable. Ask me in an hour or two and the tune will most likely be different. Petocin scares the crap out me, but as long as it gets the baby out of me, I'm trying to not freak out. I woke up this morning and greeted the day as a normal Monday. After walking Trudy a few miles and spending 40 minutes on the elliptical, it dawned on me I felt a little crampy, for lack of a better term. And without getting too graphic, I started to wonder if my water had broken. (It was nothing like it's portrayed on television.) So I called a handful of friends and my sister to get some feedback. All signs pointed to yes, so I called my doctor's office which said just go to the hospital. I took Trudy for a second walk while waiting for Husband to get home and try not to overreact. At the hospi