Skip to main content

Typos, pool etiquette and why guys should have short hair.

As I was looking over past blog entries, I realized there was a “per” where there should be a “pro.” (As in prospective.) Argh. It has been corrected. How I can consider myself a writer and constantly misuse and make up words makes no sense. (Or since.) However, if you do it with enough confidence, most people won’t question you – at least not to your face.

My favorite time of year is here – outdoor pool time. The dome came off at Roeland Park last week and practices have a whole new feel. Part of it is the switch from yards to meters, which doesn’t seem like much, but my triceps beg to differ. Especially when swimming long course meters, like last Saturday. As I stared at the black line below me, one thought repeated itself. Where. Is. The. Freaking. Wall.

Saturday also included a confrontation with a grumpy old man in my lane. I’ll spare you the details, but all you need to know is that I was right. What I was the most proud of was when he said I should move to a faster lane, I swam right past him. Yep. Made my point. Who was he to tell me to move? Why couldn’t he move to the slower lane?

And then reality hit me. I will never be an Olympic swimmer, so was this really that important? After the set I moved to a lane by myself to finish the workout. But I stood my ground for the main set, proving that I refuse to miss my interval. Take that, Mr. Grouch.

Remember when I mentioned there’s not much excitement in my life to blog about? Now you understand.

Oh wait. I do have one funny story that is non-triathlon related. Last week, Boyfriend and I went to Lulu’s for dinner. We were eyeing the entrées of the people in the next booth, one of who’s back was to us. So I asked the waitress what she had ordered. And the waitress pointed to the girl facing me. And I say, “No – her” indicating the girl who was facing away.

Except it wasn’t a girl; it was a dude. With long, flowing hair. The waitress did her best to cover, but I was loud and rather insistent. Sadly, I didn’t realize my mistake until 30 minutes later when I gasped to Boyfriend, “Holy smokes, that’s not a girl!” He smiles. “You knew that was a guy?” I ask. “Yeah, but I didn’t want to make you feel bad,” he responded. Perfect response, since I felt like a complete idiot.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

White Elephant Gone Wrong

I don't like white elephant (WE) gift exchanges. Yes, they may include laughter and good-natured teasing (I prefer bad-natured teasing), but they include the stress of finding the perfect gift. Plus, I don't believe in re-gifting trash. A box full of old magazines is not a good WE gift. No one wants it. Therefore, you are done with the exchange if you pick this gift, which is what happened to Husband. My viewpoint is not shared with most people. One of those people is my stepmom who in recent years has included WE exchanges at our family Christmas.  However, this year I was excited. If you have read my blog, you will know Husband is a saver. (We do not use the word hoarder.) We're also trying to get rid of stuff we no longer need. Husband also has friends that give him funny, ridiculous items that he saves. You can see how all this would add up to somehow already having the perfect WE gift.  So there was hope. I'd already identified it - the velvet picture of a

Holiday Homestretch

Two weeks off, people. After today, it will be sixteen lovely days until I return to the world of meetings, projects and deadlines. Sixteen days. Christmas break is such a lovely perk to working in higher education. Those in the corporate world, feel free to brag about bonuses, profit sharing and the like. On your own blog, of course. There are no big plans, other the the normal holiday family visits, which suits me just fine. Initially, I thought a few days would be spent painting the living room. It's embarrassing how long there have been drywall patches showing, but whatever. We have a baby. Nothing gets done. I've accepted it. However, Husband surprised me by having a painter take care of it last week. Hallelujah! Two days of freedom regained. Now the home improvement snowball has started. New mantle for the fireplace. New vanity for the bathroom. Paint the hallway. Tile the backsplash. We'll be lucky if we get one done before spring. We're also contemplatin

Star Wars Costume -- Strike Two

So this was the second year we attempted a Star Wars halloween costume and it was the second time Bean was not having it. In an attempt to appease Husband, he has been allowed to select the costumes until she is old enough to have an opinion. As evidenced by the photos, her opinion is clear. 2012 - Princess Leia 2013 - R2D2 (or R2TUTU) 2013 - pre-meltdown